Here’s a “Fall Fix-Up” list that can be tackled within a few hours. Crank out these tasks on a crisp Saturday morning and you can spend the rest of the weekend watching Halloween marathon movies with zero guilt.
As much as we try to deny it, fall does mean that winter is only a season away. Get your home ready for the cold while we still have a few sunny days left. Make yourself a deal. Tackle this “Fall Fix-Up” list on a Saturday morning and then spend the rest of the weekend at home making pumpkin spice lattes (link to next post) and other fall treats.
There’s only eight tasks, so it’s doable while still having most of your weekend to enjoy, too!
Outside the Home
- Replace all incandescent lighting outside with LED bulbs.
It’s about to get dark much earlier and this will save on your electric bill, too.
- Make sure the walkway leading up to your house is well lit.
This is safer for you, your guests and the trick-or-treaters, too.
- Rake and fertilize the lawn. Come spring, it will have grown back nice and bright.
- Trim any tree branches that look unsturdy.
This will give you a peace of mind on the windy fall nights.
Inside the Home
- Replace your furnace filter.
Use pleated filters to reduce indoor air contaminants like dust, dander, mold and pollen.
- Clean your ceiling fan blades.
Spray some cleaning products into a pillow case, open the pillow case over the fan blade and remove all of the dust in one simple swoop.
- Call and book an appointment with the chimney sweep.
If you use your wood-burning fireplace a lot, make sure to have a chimney sweep come inspect it for any flammable build up.
- Put away summer clothes and bring on the sweaters!
Feel extra organized by putting away your summer gear, so you have more room for your sweaters and scarves.